Being the oldest National Park of Romania, the Retezat Mountains:
-are home to some of the largest continuous forests in Romania, extensive areas of true climatic climax forests that are unique in Europe, with great areas of virgin stands – forests that have never been felled.
-are a symbol of all wild areas in the Carpathians, especially that it houses all of its flagship species, such as brown bears, wolves, lynx and golden eagles.
– have more than 1/3-rd of Romania’s flora represented within its boundaries.
– have more than 80 glacial lakes and over 20 peaks higher than 2000 meters.
– are a source of inspiration and fascination as they are one of the most important wilderness areas left in Europe.
Aims of ‘Retezat Wilderness‘
Even though the importance of the Retezat Mountains has been recognized for a considerable time – it is a UNESCO Biosphere reserve not just a National Park, its values need more international and national publicity and attention because even this protected area faces development and possible destruction, and also because so much of its values are represented in other areas in the Carpathians as well, and underlining these would help raise awareness of ‘what’ and ‘why’ needs protection in the Carpathians. The natural heritage of Romania needs more publicity, because the truth is that what is not known and endorsed cannot be protected for the future.
This project, aims to produce high quality visual materials aiming to:
– promote the values of wilderness, of forests, healthy ecosystems, the Retezat Mountains themselves, witch stand as a symbol of all the Carpathian wilderness areas as a whole.
• To artistically interpret many ideas surrounding concepts such as ‘Romanian Wilderness’, ‘Nature and wildlife are not dependent on mankind’, ‘Natural values/values of wilderness’
• to produce undistorted visions /photographs in the most ethical way, without interfering with natural processes of many key species, such as bears. Even though a lot of myths/misconceptions and discussions surround these species no or very few such undistorted visions, objective interpretations, photographs exist of them from Romania.
Stay tuned for more!